Monday, September 16, 2013

Death from the Skies!

Among the few units I haven't fielded often in Warhammer 40K are Flyers.  I've always liked the look of F/W's flyers, and in fact have two Tau Barracudas, however before 6th Ed there really wasn't much of a point.  I LOOOOOOVE Apoc games, but organized events are so few and far between that I find myself wanting to put a Titan- or Fellblade-class vehicle on the board rather than my flyers when I'm limited to one "Apoc" force-org slot (which is typical of narrative style events over the past several years, and fits the HH:Betrayal Lords of War model too).

Obviously, all of that changed last year with 6th, and I thought it was time to catch up with the program!

In the middle of my Imperial Fists building bash, I also picked up an Avenger (needed *something* to get me over the free shipping threshold, but didn't want any more Legion models to paint!)  I had to put it on hold until the VII Legion was ready for WW, and now that I've back from the event, I am taking a break from the VII Legion to build and paint it.

WIP Avenger 4 Sept 2013

The model went together like a dream.  It was one of the best Forge World models I've received from a casting and fit perspective.  There were very few spots that required green stuff, and almost nothing that required a soak in hot water to fix warpage . . .  rare for an all resin build.

Below you can see the model and the canopies masked up for a trip to the airbrush table.  I've decided to do the underbelly first.  I'll be going for a smoggy orange/brown, mottled appearance no the belly.  I figure the skies of Terra in the 30th Millennium probably look like the skies over China today -- that is to say a perpetual haze.  So, ground up we'd be orange . . .  Top-down -- it would seem the "ground" around the Imperial Palace would entirely be fortified, so I'm going to go with a mottled urban-grey for the top.


WIP 13 Sept 2013

And, just to keep things interesting... I figured I'd do up a few of the new Wall of Martyrs set pieces in said urban-gray appearance to start pulling together an overall "look" for this corner of my collection.

WIP 13 Sept 2013

Hopefully more back in a day or three off of the painting table!

No comments:

Post a Comment